January 21, 2011

cupcake skirt

I am the first to admit that I've never been super-awesome at making clothing. However, Charlie's friend, Gretchen, has her fourth birthday party tomorrow, and I was determined to make her something girlie. She is a serious skirt wearer - and especially fond of the tutu variety. When I went to the fabric store, I was totally planning to make her some kind of princess-type skirt, but my plan was diverted when I saw this fabric.

Cupcakes! Love them. And this fabric is simply adorable. It is Heidi Grace ("Sweet Treats"). The trim fabric is one I used for this superhero cape, also Heidi Grace ("Reagan's Closet").

Gretchen loves cupcakes, too. And so does her mom, who just texted me to tell me that she is making gluten-free cupcakes for the party tomorrow. That is even sweeter than this fabric! To make this skirt, I kind of used this (free) oliver + s pattern: lazy days skirt. I say "kind of" because I didn't have enough ribbon for the trim, so I used fabric instead (attached bias-tape style). And I used a different width of elastic, but it seems like it will work out just fine. Charlie tried this skirt on for me, and it looks like it will fit a similar-sized Gretchen just perfectly (a little long so she can wear it for a while). Charlie wouldn't model it for the camera, though - had to respect that. I didn't even try to bribe him this time. Good mom move, huh?

I also used this little Handy Press iron for this project. Isn't it the most darling thing you've ever seen? Check out the smiley face on the front! Thanks for this little gem, Anna!

:) Shelly

1 comment:

  1. love it!! i want one for kailee! maybe I can come over and make one!

    ReplyDelete