February 28, 2013

oliver + s cozy winter hoods

This week I worked on a couple of baby hats for two friends who are having babies in the spring. I've had the book, Oliver + S Little Things to Sew for over a year now, and this is the first project I've made from it: Cozy Winter Hood.


I made the extra small (6-12 month) size, which is quite roomy for my little one's head. It fits Morgan with room to grow, and it even fits Marcus - who is four years old! Now, Morgan does have a large noggin, but I think this size will even fit her perfectly next fall when she is around 20 months old (I'm totally making her one of her own!).


With their typical intense dislike for hats, the tie-on feature of this hood is perfect for a toddler. I couldn't wrestle my toddler down to tie that ribbon any tighter during this particularly rough photo shoot.


The hood is pretty darn cute when it is untied, too! The exterior of both hats is corduroy, and the interior is flannel. The boy hat is a little sturdier due to both the corduroy and the flannel (Riley Blake) being a little heftier. But, the girl hat is just as soft and warm - only a little bit floppier.


I decided not to hand stitch the ears upright as the pattern suggests - I liked how charming they looked when the ears were askew. I also did the whole blind stitch deal in the lining on the girl hat, but decided to just turn the boy hat out from the bottom back and topstitch around to close it up. Then I ended up topstitching the girl hat because it looked a little more tailored. One more note - I used Elmer's glue on the ribbon ends to prevent fraying. I know that won't hold up, but fabric glue (as pattern recommends) can be toxic (at least the kind I have is) and don't babies put ribbons in their mouths?

Love, love, love this hood. Super easy and insanely adorable!

:) Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment