April 10, 2011

a monk bag for emma

Our very favorite babysitter, Emma, was back from California for her spring break, and she had a birthday while she was visiting! So, I made her this bag using this tutorial from The Purl Bee.

I thought it would be a perfect Spring bag for Emma who loves purple and hauls her books all around her college campus.

I was really happy that I had made this practice monk bag (which I use all the time, despite its many sewing imperfections) because Emma's bag came out so much better as a result! I also used heavier-weight materials this time for the outside of the bag (purple corduroy and the black floral decorator fabric - both from JoAnn's).

It is hard to see in these dim pictures, but the green polka-dot lining really *pops* with the purple. Can you tell from my vocabulary that I have been watching way too many HGTV design shows?

Anyways, Happy Birthday, Emma! Can't wait until you are back this summer!

:) Shelly

PS - I never heard back from the winner of the apron contest. Since it's been over two weeks, I decided to draw a new winner using the random number generator. The winner is commenter #4, Elizabeth, who said: Beautiful apron Shelly! I donated on Sunday to a group of ladies from a church with a large japanese congregation (can't remember the name). I happened to be driving through the same parking lot as Market 99 (asian market) on Aurora and stopped to give them money. It felt good to give and it also prompted Charlie to ask questions, which although hard to explain, was a great opportunity. He's really hoping that our money goes to giving new toys to children (of course much more important than food in a 4 year olds mind). Thanks for doing this!

And I know where Liz lives, so this apron will definitely get to the winner this time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment