May 7, 2010

Bowling Bag

I am delighted with my new bag - it is rare when an idea I come up with actually turns out just how I pictured it! Though I could probably fit a bowling ball in this bag, it will actually hold a few diapers, a change of clothes for messy Marcus, snacks, my wallet, my phone, and other random mommy necessities.

First, let me tell you that I did not make the actual bag. It came from a clearance rack at Old Navy for the incredible price of $8! When I purchased it I thought, this would be the perfect bag with which to have an adventure in embroidering.

My friend Anna gave this embroidery pattern to me many years ago with an embroidery hoop and multiple loops of brightly colored embroidery floss. I've attempted some embroidery (check out my teepee), but had never used these awesome patterns until now. Let me tell you, I am a believer! Sublime Stitching is fabulous - it lives up to its name!

So, I mostly chose to embroider this bag with a bowling ball and pins because that's what I had on hand. And, I thought they were super cute. I'm actually a terrible bowler (unless you count Wii bowling - I rock at that). However, this bowling motif also reminds me of The Sunset Bowl in Ballard, which was (sadly) torn down this year. I miss The Sunset. But, its a good thing we'll have more condos with retail space on the bottom in The Sunset's place, because we certainly need more of those in Seattle (*big eye roll and sigh*).

Anyways, the pattern is super easy to use. You just iron your fabric, place the pattern, and cover it with a hot (steam off) iron for a few minutes.

Ta-da! I probably should have left the iron on a little bit longer, but I figured it was good enough.

I used the bowling pin iron-on twice, and I'll probably be able to use it 2 or 3 more times before it looses its iron-on capabilities. I made a teeny-tiny mistake when I overlapped the pattern, but you can hardly see it on the finished bag.

The best part of this project was that I did most of it while sitting on my back porch steps in the lovely afternoon sunshine. Gotta love quiet time/nap time!! And sunshine!

When the front pocket is full, all the pins show. When it is not full, the pocket flap covers it up a bit, but I kind of like it. Plus, who am I kidding... the pocket will always be full.

I will definitely be doing more embroidery with Sublime Stitching - you should check out all of the cute patterns on the site! Now I may have to go steal some bowling shoes to complete my look.

MakingThe Girl Creative

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! Embellishment is a way to really personalize otherwise generic items and make them your own, one-of-a-kind treasures!

    ReplyDelete