January 25, 2012

diaper bag

I've been having a hard time sleeping lately (go figure!). So, I've been doing a little more reading and some late night sewing to wind myself down at night. About a week ago I dug some Joel Dewberry Ginseng fabric out of my fabric bin and made a Burdastyle Charlie Bag (see tutorial here). 

I cut the fabric out on one sleepless evening and sewed it up the following Saturday while Marcus took a rare afternoon nap. I had thought I'd use this as my new diaper bag, and I'm sure I will someday... but the practicality of such a bag with two kids and a newborn seems a little dubious.

I really like how this bag turned out, and I think it is plenty big for two kiddos and a baby. However, the strap style doesn't seem like it will work when I am wearing a baby carrier (which will most likely be often). Adding a long, cross-body strap would've been a good idea, but I don't think it would look right with this bag, anyways.

I am terrible at taking pictures of the insides of bags, but I threw this one in to the post to show you the pockets I put in (much better than the last Charlie Bag I made). There are two large pockets with velcro closures on one side (for diapers, snacks, spare clothes, etc.) and three smaller pockets (for keys, cell phone, etc.) on the other. I also added a velcro tab closure on the top and made my straps about 2" longer than the pattern suggests.

So, when I'm ready for a non-diaper-bag-looking diaper bag, I'm all set. And yes, I've already ordered the fabric to make a messenger style diaper bag. I think with 3+ weeks left of sleepless nights, I'll have plenty of time to finish it.

:) Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment